- City College of New York, B.S., 1954
- Columbia, M.D., 1959
Dr. Kenneth A. Forde graduated from The City College of New York and received his M.D. from Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons. Following training at Columbia, he remained on the faculty from 1966 to 2006, attaining the rank of professor of clinical surgery and occupying the José M. Ferrer Chair in Surgery from 1997 to 2006.
He was a teacher, researcher, and practitioner of surgery for 45 years, chiefly in the areas of diseases of the colon. Dr. Forde has been the recipient of numerous honors and awards, including the Townsend Harris Medal from the City College of New York (for outstanding postgraduate achievement), the Bolmfalk Award for teaching, and the Arnold P. Gold Award for Humanism, both from the College of Physicians and Surgeons. The Kenneth A. Forde Professorship in Surgery was established at Columbia University in 1996, honoring his contributions to academic colorectal surgery. He has had leadership roles in many professional organizations, having served as president of the New York Surgical Society and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES).
He has been active in Columbia alumni affairs, having been president of the P&S Alumni Association from 1985 to 1987 and has served since medical school as co-chairman of his class. He has been the recipient of the Columbia University Alumni Federation Medal, the Gold Medal for Excellence in Clinical Medicine, and the Silver Medal for Meritorious Service from the Alumni Association of P&S. He is a member of the Board of Visitors of Columbia University Medical Center.
He served on several editorial boards (Surgical Endoscopy, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy), governing boards, and as trustee of several professional and lay organizations, including the American College of Surgeons,SAGES, the New York Academy of Medicine, Berkeley Divinity School at Yale, and Episcopal Social Services (New York). He is a Trustee of New York Presbyterian Hospital. He is a Commander in the Venerable Order of The Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem.